As with anything new, it is going to take some time to get used to it. The time it takes to get used to your new smile is different for everyone, but there are a few things you can do that will help you and your body adjust more quickly.
- Start by eating soft foods – eggs, mashed potatoes, chopped meat or fish.
- Avoid foods that can be sticky or hard to chew – chewing gum, gummy candy.
- Take small bites and chew slowly – and avoid biting with your front teeth. Keep chewing in the back of your mouth as you are adjusting.
- As you master these steps, begin to move on to harder-to-eat items and before you know it, you’ll be enjoying everything you did before!
- Practice speaking aloud – this is a great way to build confidence and work through sounds that may be difficult to say at first.